Fresh Milk

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I have recently discovered the creamy deliciousness that is raw milk. After a lifetime of drinking processed skim milk (with an occasional glass of 2% milk as a treat!), my taste buds rejoiced at their first encounter with milk straight from the cow.

IMG_7847 BLOG

I buy the milk from a nearby market early in the morning at the reasonable price of 57 cents per liter. :) For anyone interested, that works out to be $2.16 per gallon of raw milk straight from the cow. This is one of the many things that I love about Bolivia! Fresh foods are so readily available that they're inexpensive. In fact, processed milk from the grocery store is slightly more expensive than raw milk.

IMG_7824 BLOG

After much Googling and debating, I decided to be safe and boil the milk. Granted, it's no longer raw, but it's still fresh and unprocessed. And still delicious! So I just barely bring it to a boil and then let it cool off and store it in the fridge.

IMG_7838 BLOG

I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to processed milk again. I'm officially a fresh milk convert! :)

IMG_7844 BLOG
blog comments powered by Disqus