Water in Bolivia

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Water. It covers more than 2/3 of the earth's surface. It fills more than 50% of our bodies. And yet most of us don't even give it a second thought.

Living in the Minnesota, I didn't think much of water. It never ran out when I was in the shower. Rainwater was never so excessive that my home was destroyed. And when I was thirsty I just went to the faucet and filled myself a glass.

Unfortunately, water isn't so plentiful in all parts of the world. Or so clean.

Here in Santa Cruz I don't have to deal with water shortages or serious flooding, but I do have to worry about water being sanitary. The water that comes directly from the faucet is not drinking water. Granted, many Bolivians do drink the water, but it has a negative effect on health in the long run.

For several months after moving to Bolivia, I would just buy bottled water at the store. But it became costly and time consuming to always have to go to the store. I eventually bought a large water jug from a company that does home deliveries. So now I just call when my water is running low and a new jug is delivered right to my door.

botellon

And as of today, things have become even more ideal. I finally bought a stand for the jug, so all I have to do is flip the knob and out comes water. Almost like a faucet. Perfect!
blog comments powered by Disqus