Home Sweet Home

Friday, April 9, 2010

When I saw the theme for Raw(e) this week my heart sunk a little.

Around the Home

It’s not that I didn’t want to photograph that topic. On the contrary, I love to photograph both housing and details. And it’s not that I couldn’t come up with an idea for my photo.

Honestly, it’s because my house is a sore spot in my life. It’s embarrassing.

Housing is something of infinite importance to me. I have my Bachelor’s in housing, for crying out loud. I value it and appreciate it. Home is supposed to be a primary source of identity. And a house is supposed to be home.

That in mind, I try to avoid talking about my room. Yes, I live in a room. I rent in a house with one kitchen, one bathroom, and several detached rooms. I share the bathroom with several other adults and children as well as the construction workers that are around all day. I use the kitchen whenever it’s unlocked, but it’s actually someone else’s.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. I’m grateful to have somewhere to live. To have a roof over my head and a warm bed to sleep in. It’s just that I don’t really like to talk about it, much less show it off in photos.

So I put off participating in Raw(e) and thought about just skipping it this week. But last night I looked around my room and thought “There must be something beautiful around here.” My eyes fell on a basket high up on top of my wardrobe. I bought it for about a dollar not long after arriving to Bolivia. Mauricio helped me spray paint it and I tied a ribbon on the rim. And the best part is what’s inside.

IMG_1433 570

Notes. Letters. Cards. I have saved virtually every card or letter given to me for as long as I can remember. Silly little notes from friends. Long, beautiful letters from my Mom. Birthday cards and thank you notes. They’re all there and I cherish them.

It’s something I’m glad to have around. It makes my house that much more of a home.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This unedited photo was submitted to Raw(e).
Check out Sailor & Company for other entries!
Or click here to see what I've submitted in the past.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blog comments powered by Disqus