Live News from Bolivia

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Last night I had one of those "oh yeah, I'm not living in the United States anymore" moments. The kind where something crazy happens and it actually catches me by surprise. This doesn't happen too often anymore; I'm used to Bolivian culture and feel pretty much at home here.

But last night I absentmindedly glanced up at the news and saw three guys tied to a wooden post outside of a car repair shop. It looked intriguing, so I began paying attention. Apparently they had been stealing gasoline from the store and after five or six times, the owner had finally caught them. Rather than calling the police, he decided to take justice into his own hands.

So the entire news filming crew and dozens of onlookers watched as the owner soaked the three thieves in gasoline and lit them on fire! The image cut as soon as the first flame appeared, so I can only hope that either the police had arrived or that someone was stepping in to help.
blog comments powered by Disqus