Change

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I’d say that change is a loaded word that carries multiple connotations and conjures a variety of feelings. Some people love change while others have a difficult time accepting it. I guess I’ve never really fit into either of those categories.

In some ways, maybe the little ways, I love change. I love to rearrange my room, wear a new pair of shoes, and put a new background on my computer. Those things keep my mind stimulated and make everyday feel like a new day. But in other ways, I tend to be hesitant to embrace change. I dislike varying from my routine, trying new things, and being in unfamiliar places. Maybe it’s more of a fear of the unknown.

The New Year has unexpectedly brought several changes with it, both good and bad.

I rent a room in a spacious home that is shared with a few other renters and the elderly woman that owns the home. She also employs a young woman to cook, clean, and care for her in general. From the time I moved in until recently, the house was very dirty and the woman often in tears due to a very lazy employee. With the New Year came a new, hardworking employee and ultimately a much nicer place to live. This has been a good change.

But 2010 has also already included a lying boss and a corrupt company that led to unemployment. I’ve been at this company for about seven months now and quite frankly couldn’t wait to leave. But I always assumed that when I did leave it would be on my time and with a new job lined up, not when the company ran out of money to pay me. At the moment this feels like one of those bad, unknown changes, but I trust God will bring something good from it.

I imagine that 2010 will have many more changes, whether or not I’m prepared for them. It’s a good thing that God is ultimately the one in control.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11


1 comment(s):

S.I.F. said...

I am one of those people who has taught myself to love change (but it takes some convincing sometimes!) I have a friend who was laid off last year from a job she didn't love, but didn't hate either. It led to her going back to school for something she is truly passionate about. She wouldn't have done it if she hadn't lost her job (and then been unable to find a new one in this economy), but now she is so happy for it. I truly believe everything happens for a reason, even the crappy stuff. Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Post a Comment