Cooking

Monday, January 24, 2011

Cooking is one of those things in life that is what you make of it. It can be an arduous, dreaded chore; it can be something that never gets done; or it can be a great joy and passion. For me, it’s more like an intriguing something in which I have little experience. But that is about to change.

In an effort to develop some cooking skills and hold myself accountable, I’ve decided to feature cooking posts here on my blog every Monday. This will force me to try cooking something new and more extensive at least once each week. I’d love to get meal suggestions from all of you and I just might be able to introduce you all to some Bolivian food in the process!

In Bolivia, the largest meal of the day is lunch. The entire family goes home from work or school and sits down to a warm, home-cooked meal. Dinner tends to be something lighter or even just bread and tea. Ever since I started working from home about a year ago I’ve been cooking lunch for myself and Mauricio each day. I’ve certainly learned and tried many new things, but I’ve got a long ways to go.

I do, however, know exactly what I want out of a meal. Something that other people find tasty but that is also nutritional. I’m not into trendy diets or watching calories or that kind of thing, but I am a firm believer in balanced meals. Not too much or too little of any specific food group.

The other thing is that I really like using all fresh, local food and making as much of it from scratch as possible. Of course this isn’t a challenge at all living in Bolivia where walking two blocks from home takes me to an open-air market overflowing with fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat. Processed foods are tucked away in the supermarkets with huge price stickers and that’s fine with me!

So starting next Monday I’m going to give this a try! I think it’ll be a great way to keep myself accountable to “learning how to cook” and will hopefully afford me some nice photo opportunities. :)
blog comments powered by Disqus