In the Middle of Nowhere

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I've been meaning to write this post for awhile now, but I keep pushing it off. In fact, I was tempted to just put up some "wordless" photos today and leave this for another day.

I think my blog is lost. It took a wrong turn or a detour or missed an exit or something. It has lost all direction whatsoever.

When I started this blog, I wasn't all that interested in photography and mostly just wanted somewhere to talk about my experiences in Bolivia. I always used blogging to keep people up to date during my mission trips in the past. So it seemed only natural to do it again. But then people actually started looking at my blog. I mean, people besides my mom and my grandparents! :)

So I tried to expand a little; make it about more than just my mundane day-to-day activities. I began making it more informational about Bolivia and talking about some of the customs and differences here. I tried to do regular posts on foods in Bolivia and was constantly looking for interesting stories to share.

And then something crazy happened. I took a photo of a cooler full of fish with my cell phone camera. Looking at it now, I'm not too impressed. But at the time, it struck a chord with me and made me want to take more photos. In just a matter of months, photography went from being a mild interest to probably my largest passion. That's not to say that my talent increased and I became a great photographer, just that my love for it grew.

Naturally, I began posting more and more photography on my blog. Along the way, I came across photography blog hops and earnestly participated. And then even created my own Macro Friday.

And now we're here. My blog is almost entirely photography with little mention of life in Bolivia (or my mundane day-to-day activities!).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just feel like it needs to be addressed. And I feel like my little old blog is lost in the middle of nowhere without a map or plan.

So I'd like some feedback from YOU, my readers! What is it that you come here for? Are you content with the posts of primarily photos with a few brief words? Or do you like having some more in-depth writing or posts in there too? And for those who have been around awhile - do you miss the posts all about Bolivian life and food and culture, or have you not even noticed it missing?

I think that I'd be content to go whichever way. I know that I won't stop posting photography anytime soon, but I do also love writing and that has kind of been lost in the shuffle. I was always considered a strong writer in school, but it's been over a year since I graduated from the Univ. of MN and I'm kind of out of practice!

So I'd love to hear what you think. Go ahead and be honest. What is it that you come here for?

And now, because I can't stand writing "naked" posts with zero photos, I'm going to include my last two non-flower/plant Cochabamba shots:

IMG_3296
(Many of the streets in Cochabamba are steep like this. I love it!)

IMG_3371
blog comments powered by Disqus