Seize the Moment

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My high school English teacher had carpe diem painted in large, swirly letters on her wooden podium at the front of the classroom. I remember looking at the phrase and thinking it was too cliché. She would often tell us that it was her life motto, but I wondered if that just sounded nice to say or if she really lived it out.

Well I don't know about my English teacher, but I have decided that 2010 is the year to seize the day, or the year, or even just the moment.

I have a tendency to let little things distract me or lessen my contentment. If anything is less than perfect, I can't even think about anything else until it's fixed. For example, let's say that I go to the theater to see a movie (not that I have in even the last 6 months). I have my popcorn and my bottle of water and the movie is just barely beginning and then I realize that I forgot to bring chapstick. Inevitably, my lips start feeling dry. The more I think about it, the drier they get. (How I can have dry lips in the humidity of Bolivia is beyond me, by the way.) I then proceed to think about how I wish I had my chapstick for the entire movie and am incapable of enjoying it as much as I would have.

This is a rather small, trivial example, but I'm extremely finicky like that and even more so with bigger, more important things. So this year I want to seize each and every moment and live it to the fullest. Each minute of the day is packed with potential and I know that I let so much pass me by. And even more importantly, each moment is a gift from God that he has entrusted to me.

What about you? What are your hopes and goals for 2010?

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment