Laundry Day

Monday, December 7, 2009

Washing machines are quite uncommon in Bolivia.



So I've begun doing my laundry by hand. I fill up the wash sink with warm, soapy water and use a stiff brush to clean my clothes, towels, sheets, and everything else!




Driers are even less common than washing machines, so my clothes air dry under the Bolivian sun.



Fortunately, in Bolivia the sun is only about 10 feet above the surface of the earth, so clothes dry quickly. Well, that's what it feels like anyway!

So this is how I've begun spending a few hours every weekend. But the truth is, I don't mind it! I usually turn on some music and just use the time to relax. There's something therapeutic about working with my hands, especially in warm water! And I love the way my clothes smell and feel as I take them off the clothesline (although ironing is a must!). It's funny, in the U.S. when I had a washing machine and drier in the basement, I would dread doing laundry. I'd usually put it off until I absolutely needed clean clothes. Looking back, I don't know what I hated so much about throwing a pile of clothes into a machine, dumping in some detergent, and pressing a few buttons! However, if I had the opportunity to use a washing machine now, I'm not sure that I'd take it. In fact, I could hire someone to wash my clothes for me and not have to worry about it, but I've chosen to do it myself. There's certainly something to be said for a laid-back lifestyle that includes spending a few hours washing the clothes.

On the seventh day you must wash your clothes and be purified.
Number 31:24 (Please note this is yanked out of context - it's just for fun!)

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment